In the United States, you need to register with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) if you have a UAV, which will allow you to fly it legally in the United States and avoid possible civil or criminal penalties. First make sure you need to register online. Only by driving a registered UAV according to law can you enjoy it safely and legally.
Which Kind of Drone Need Registration
1. Decide if you just operate the drone for non-commercial purposes. If you prepare to use the drone to fly for fun as a hobby or a toy, registration is not required.
2. If you are using it for freelance video shooting, photography or film-making, it is considered a commercial item and needs to be registered.
3. Even if it is for commercial purposes, but you are going to use the drone indoors only, you do not need to register it.
4. If you want to use the drone outside the United States, you will need to register it.
5. If the drone weighs 0.55 to 55 pounds (0.25 to 24.95kg). If the drone falls into this weight range, it must be registered.
6. If the drone weighs less than 0.55 pounds (0.25kg) and you are using it for non-commercial purposes, it does not need to be registered.
Register on the FAA Website
1. Apply on the FAA official website. Visit the website: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/ and create an account. The registration process is completely online, so you can do it simply on a computer or a smartphone. You need to provide your email address and create a password for your account.
2. You can then use the account to update or renew your registration online as needed. Provide your full name and mailing address. You will also need to agree to the FAA safety guidance list to proceed with the application.
Get the Registration Certificate
1. You need to pay the $5 USD registration fee. The online site only accepts credit card payments so you will need to provide your credit card number.
2. Receive the registration certificate in your email. Once you submit your information and pay the fee, you will receive a registration certificate for your drone. Keep an electronic copy on your phone or computer so you can show it if needed. You can also print out a physical copy of the certificate and keep it on you when you fly the drone.
3. Keep in mind if you have more than one drone, or a fleet of drones, the registration will cover them all. You do not need to register each drone individually.
Renew the Drone Registration
The registration will expire every 3 years. So please remember to renew the drone registration every 3 years. Just log into your FAA website account and pay $5 USD to get an updated registration certificate.